Friday, January 26, 2007

Backtrack to the Beginning Part 1: Relto

I've been an explorer for roughly a month now. So many adventures in such a short period of time. I've almost forgotten what my old life was like. That's a dangerous thing because I know, one day, I will have to go back. Well, let me try to remember....

I lived in a small town in the Mojave desert, working a dead end job, and college wasn't working out. I grew up shy and somewhat anti-social; it wasn't my fault though.

Anyway, I felt like going to library one day just because I hadn't been in quite a while. It was a small branch (they had quite a number of special requests and frequent shipments from other branches). I browsed my favorite section, fantasy and science fiction, and didn't find anything of interest. But a small green book at the end of one of the shelves caught my eye. There was no Dewey Decimal label on it, no title, no author, nothing. I opened the cover and was surprised to find a small picture of an island. I tried turning the page, but it seemed like they were stuck together. Curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to take it home. I slipped it in my purse (hey, it's not like it was a regular library book!) and returned home.

I continued examining the book pondering over why I couldn't turn any of the pages. I gave up about an hour later, my brain was burnt out. I couldn't figure it out. I sat there lazily staring at the picture and as my hand touched it I started to tingle all over. Then the room went black. I could have sworn my eyes were still open....

I regained my vision after what seemed to be an eternity. I was shocked to find that I was no longer in my house. I was, instead, standing on a mountain top in the clouds with trees, bushes and a small hut with a single, small, totem type thing (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it) in front.
I approached with caution thinking there might be someone inside. Wrong... the place was empty; just two windows, and two bookcases on either side of a large bureau. Investigating the bookcases I found three books. Two of them were similar to the green book that brought me here. I didn't touch them because, well, I hadn't even gotten my bearings in this place yet. The third book, on the bookcase to the right, was interesting and confusing. It contained names of places and cryptic passages describing them.

I finished reading and realized how tired I was. All I could do at that point was make myself as comfortable as possible on the floor and try to rest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Liandra,

Lovely beginning, keep up the good work... earthwiz

Samuel M. said...

I like the way you chose to start this, with the library. Can't wait to read more of your tale.